Welcome to the k. thompson photography blog! I’m Kelsey Thompson, a documentary-style wedding photographer in the Washington, DC metro area. I work and reside in Alexandria, Virginia with my two cute and crazy dogs and my husband (also cute and crazy).

This photography blog will be the best place for you to view images from my recent weddings and portrait sessions. It’s also where I’ll announce new products and share my thoughts about weddings, photography, and the amazing couples that I feel so lucky to work with year-round!

So please check back often and leave a comment when you read (I love comments!). And, as always, please feel free to shoot me an email with any thoughts, comments or questions you might have. Enjoy!

7.30.2010

Alyssa & Mike | Strathmore Music Center | MD wedding photography

Ceremony: University of Maryland Memorial Chapel
Reception: Strathmore Music Center
Flowers and decor: Greenworks
Band: The Monster Band
Hair & Make-up: Carla Pressley

Last summer, I did an engagement session with Alyssa and Mike at Barrel Oak Winery. It was a very fun and very hot August day, and right away I knew their wedding was going to be an event to look forward to! And sure enough, what a day! Alyssa had kept me informed about many of the fun details they were planning and it was a blast to see it all come together and to be there to photograph it! We started at Alyssa's hotel room at the Bethesda North Marriott before moving onto the University of Maryland's chapel, and finally the Strathmore Music Center for their cocktail-style reception. The fun decor fit their style perfectly! And boy, did this crowd have a blast...just scroll down to see! Congratulations again, Alyssa and Mike!








Alyssa's bridesmaids looked on while she got buttoned into her dress (there were A LOT of buttons!).



This is definitely one of my favorite shots of the day. Check out Alyssa's dad getting a high-five as they processed down the aisle!


What I love about this photo is that you cannot only see the love on Alyssa's face as she looks at Mike, but you can also see Alyssa's parents looking on at each other in the foreground. Too sweet!



This was actually their first of three "first-kisses." And, yes, I got them all!




Alyssa and Mike requested a photo by the large Maryland "M" of flowers. Even though I went to a rival school, I have to admit that it's a really pretty campus! (Do I get brownie points for saying that?)



Such a cool place for a reception!

Alyssa wanted sunset-colors, so the room was awash with purples, pinks, and orange tones.



I hadn't seen rock-candy in years! Love this!









And the building really came to life after the sun went down and the uplighting started to show!



Aren't the candelabras fun?!?!


Alyssa's reaction as they started to lift her chair.

And Mike's. He had a blast up there!



The next three images in a row are great. Here are the ladies going after the bouquet.

And the next two are the men and the garter. Keep an eye on the guy in the tux toward the center.

He sidesteps away and they all let the garter fall to the ground. Too funny!

There was even some limbo action later on in the evening.






8 comments:

Unknown said...

Kelsey, I love you!!! :) Thank you so, so much...you are amazing! (And don't Kendra's flowers look unbelievable?! Love them!)

astrid said...

in love with graffiti shot and your last shot of the night- beautiful!!!

Rachel said...

These pictures are all so incredible!! I don't know how you can possibly narrow them down for your album!!!!!!!! LOVE THEM!!!

mama j said...

Beautiful pictures of a beautiful couple!!!! (spoken by the mother of the bride!) Seriously, these pictures are INCREDIBLE! Great colors... great composition!

Tracy said...

These are so fabulous! I love all the reception shots and the last shot of the night. Beautiful!!

Kristi said...

Love! Awesome!!!

Anonymous said...

Alyssa...you were such a beautiful bride. Truly stunning as always. I especially like the shot of you and Mike with your firends but the photo of you with your parent's glance in the foreground is a definate keeper. What a wonderful day! I hope that you and Mike have many more memorable moments to come. Sue

Unknown said...

Alyssa and Mike ~~ May your whole marriage be as beautiful, fun-filled, and receive as much attention as your wedding day. God's richest blessings to you both.


Laura M (co-worker)